Sunday, April 17, 2016

Slight gain, but I rather expected that

I thought I might actually show a gain this week since it was that week, and I did. 0.1 kg (0.22 lb). Such a small amount I'm not going to stress. Since I used to gain a fair bit more during my cycle, this is nothing. I'm hoping to see a much better result next week.


It's frustrating, but since losing at all is so hard these days, the small losses I've been seeing recently are enough to keep me fasting. But I must say part of me feels like I'm not eating for over half the week, dammit I should be getting bigger losses! If you've followed me for any length of time you know that nothing seems to be working anymore and that all signs point to pre-menopause hormonal changes so I am definitely going to keep fasting even if I continue to see only small drops.

Truth be told I like how I feel when I fast. I have learned a couple of things on eating days. Firstly, when I break the fast it needs to be with real food. A few times we were pressed for time so I grabbed an Atkins shake and bar for breakfast. When I did that, I tended to feel a bit nauseous until I ate something more substantial. If I only had a shake, I didn't have that problem, but if I had an Atkins bar (with or without the shake) I did. I never had any problems with Atkins bars before, but it makes sense that if I'm not eating for four days out of the week, then when I do eat it's got to be real food.

The other thing is in the first couple of weeks I had no problem eating larger meals on eating days. Not binge-sized by any means, but a good sized portion. After all, I wasn't going to eat again for the next two days, so I wanted a substantial dinner the night before I started a fast. But now I find I feel overly full if I do that. Last night we had steak and broccoli, and I ended up giving some of it to my husband as I didn't need it all. I suppose needing less food is a good thing.

In any case, that's it for this week, here's looking forward to better results next week.

8 comments:

  1. I guess your body must be adjusting and knows how much it needs. OMG! If I only gained 0.1 during TOM I would be happy as! You are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try to feel that way too but I still find myself thinking 4 days without food should produce a loss.

      Delete
  2. Have you noticed any difference inch-wise? I have such a love-hate (mostly hate) relationship with the scale. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't taken measurements but my clothes are looser compared to when I started fasting 4 days a week.

      Delete
  3. Hang in there! That tiny gain during TOM is nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never done intermittent fasting, and I think you have been doing wonderfully well to follow this path. It does seem to make sense that you are better to eat real food, after you break the fasting days and as your body has to get used to digesting food again perhaps this is why you do not want to eat all that you have put on your plate.

    Just keep a check that your body is still getting the nutrients it needs ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take a multivitamin and also have been walking down to the organic shop for bone broth most fasting days. Hope that does the trick!

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!