Sunday, April 10, 2016

Another drop; and do you use bone broth?

So another drop this week, marginally better than last week. I'm down .5 kg (1.1 lb) from last week, bringing my total after four weeks of 4-day fasting to 6.8 kg (14.99 lb). Hey, 15 pounds in 4 weeks I will definitely take! :)


Look, ordinarily a pound a week is totally acceptable, but when you're not eating four whole days, you kind of expect a bit more. But I'm thinking this is my usual pattern that I used to see before the hormones interfered -- lose well two weeks, then have monthly weight gain for two weeks. Next week will tell, I guess. So far after stopping the progesterone cream, I have had two normal 28 day cycles. A doctor recently told me that when your cycles start coming every 21-23 days (as mine had been before the cream) it's a sign you'll go through menopause in the next 1-4 years. If it's about age 55 like my mom, it means I could be dealing with 3-4 week cycles for the next 2-1/2 years, so I just gotta get used to some ups and downs I guess.

What you see above are my results at the end of the week.  Alternating fasting days and eating days, however, means that I see a roller coaster ride on the scales during the week. For example, I could see a loss of 6 pounds, followed by a 5 pound gain after an eating day, and that just repeats. Much of that is water weight and to be expected. As long as the overall result is moving down, though, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. As I said, as soon as this cycle passes, I should hopefully see a much nicer drop next week. Fingers crossed!

Someone at work asked me whether I take bone broth on my fasting days. I do not -- I mostly have water, tea and Pepsi Max. Only twice have I ever had a headache while fasting, and both times a little salt with water fixed me right up. So I know sodium is important while fasting. Dr Fung recommends bone broth and gives a recipe for it -- like many recipes I've seen online they recommend cooking this stuff for anywhere from 24 hours (chicken) to 48 hours (beef). I personally cannot go to sleep leaving my stove on. I have electric, but I still just don't feel safe doing that. Others recommend using a crock pot, but I don't think it's safe to let it run that long. I once let mine run for 16 hours as a specific recipe called for, and now I have a brown 'burn' mark on the outside of the crockpot. I have also contacted Crockpot manufacturers and they highly recommend against leaving it run that long. So no, I have never made my own bone broth, though I'm sure it's nutritious.

Well the guy at work recommended an organic place not far from work that sells it, so I went there and checked it out. They sell it hot by the cup (small was around $5 and larger around $8) or you can buy a 500ml frozen container with about 2 larger serves in it for $12.50. She gave me a small sample of the chicken which wasn't bad. I guess I was expecting it to taste more like standard chicken broth, but this is bone broth and not as "chicken flavoured" as I had expected. She said most people find the chicken more palatable, and that the beef yields a stronger flavour. Well I took home a 500ml tub of chicken and it's thawing in my fridge over the weekend, so I'll give it a try Monday and Tuesday. But the lady was kind enough to advise it's much cheaper to make the stuff yourself, and they only cook theirs for about 9 hours (chicken) to overnight (beef) and they feel that's long enough. From what I've heard you need to cook it longer to get all the nutrients.

She also advised that while she does use it, just adding salt to your water will work if you're just worried about getting enough sodium. I asked whether she adds enough that it actually tastes salty - she said she does, in fact plain water she doesn't like anymore because she's used to the salt. I personally think I'll just worry about it when my body advises I need it. I will use this bone broth Monday and Tuesday because I've bought it, but in general it's been working for me to just have a bit of salt when I feel a slight headache, and then it goes away.

What about you guys -- fasting or not, do you make bone broth? I'd be interested to hear about your experience with it.

6 comments:

  1. I am really thinking about making some bone broth. Like you, I worry about leaving an appliance on for that long, but I have a soup maker and if I did it on the weekend and watch it, it should be fine. I have been reading about it and I think the nutrients it supplies are worth it by far. I have a white witchypoo friend who swears by chicken broth to stop flus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope your friend is right. I suspect it's just seasonal allergies but my nose and throat are quite irritated today. I had half the broth today and will finish the rest tomorrow so I hope it has healing powers.

      Delete
  2. Another drop so well done.
    You may want to have a read about bone broth here:
    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/have-some-more-broth-it-is-good-for-you.html

    also here
    http://www.high50.com/health/why-bone-broth-is-the-uks-first-health-food-trend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, I am enjoying the bone broth and have read the articles you linked to. I really would like to make some if I could get past the long cook times. I just don't feel right running the stovetop that long, especially while I sleep.

      Delete
  3. Hi Anna
    Regarding the bone broth - could it be something to consider making it at the weekend?

    I also saw this post - didn't know whether you may like to read it https://authoritynutrition.com/menopause-weight-gain/

    Hope your week is going well

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. "As long as the overall result is moving down, though, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing." THIS! It is exactly what I keep telling myself.

    My parents swear by bone broth!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!