Saturday, January 30, 2016

Hubby wants to eat what I eat!

How cool is that? We watched That Sugar Film last night and while we've watched lots of similar documentaries lately, I think the message finally reached him. He has gained a little weight over the last few years, mostly in the abdominal region, and he'd really like to lose it. Watching how sugar affected an average Aussie bloke who started consuming it in amounts that the average person consumes (amazingly that's 40 tsp per day) after not having eaten it for years -- well it was enough to make him think. This guy didn't eat sugary junk food, either -- just normal, supposedly healthy foods from the grocery store that we often don't even realise have sugar in them. He even traveled to the US at one point and found it was much easier to hit the 40 tsp per day there. If you're an Aussie and you have Presto, you can watch the film there, and I think the website offers other ways to view it, too.

So after the film my hubby asked me if he could eat what I eat next week. What? Sure! I would love that! Not having to work around each other in the kitchen making different meals would be great, and I'd love to see him eating healthier anyway. He's a big bread eater, so I warned that is likely what he'll miss most, but he's going to give it a go. Hopefully he likes it as it sure will make meal planning easier week to week. For the first week I'll be sure to plan things I'm fairly confident he'll like. Some things he has already had with me, he's just added bread or potatoes to his portion so he won't be doing that this time. I told him he doesn't need to worry about following Dr Poon guidelines to the letter, just eliminating grains and sugar will be enough to see a difference I reckon. It's generally easier for men to lose weight, so we'll see how he goes.

After my huge drop, the next week I went up a bit, and then last week my cycle came around again -- I counted the days and was surprised to find it had been exactly a 28 day cycle, starting again on day 29. That is incredible. Could the cream be regulating me that perfectly? I don't know but again I'll discuss with the doctor soon. I was supposed to see him for the thyroid tests on the 29th but they called me a few days before that saying they had to reschedule, so now I go on the 3rd February. I am very much looking forward to this visit, and I hope I like him as he's accepting new patients. I've not been very happy with the doctor I have now, and this guy is easier to get to with better parking as well.  Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes -- wish me luck!

10 comments:

  1. Yep! That film is incredibly powerful and showing it to my hubby was the start of massive changes in our house too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he does well eating healthier. The first week or two can be tough as I recall.

      Delete
  2. After I lost weight and kept it off for a year or so, my husband said the same thing to me about eating what I ate. He had hit an all time high of 285 at 5' 10" and he was kind of miserable. He lost 85 pounds but has since put 20 pounds back on. Still, he's done well for the last ten years. I watched that film too and had to admit that I once ate a LOT of those things especially the super sweet yogurt and frozen yogurt. I'm glad my tastes have changed.

    I hope your new doctor works out well for you. Its so frustrating to have a doctor who doesn't listen and who brushes off your questions because he's too busy to bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My current doctor is actually a young woman. She put me on Phentermine around 2012 which you can only take for a few months. When I saw her in March 2014 having lost 33.5 km she thought her drug had worked but I said no and told her what I was eating. She is OK I guess I just never feel she can relate or understand my issues ... maybe it's my perception as she's a petite young blonde. It's also very hard to get to her with no decent parking.

      Delete
  3. Great to read about hubby wanting to eat what you eat - that does make things so much easier.
    Wish you both well for February. Do keep us posted how he gets on and most importantly how you get on in a few days time 3rd February

    In the meantime enjoy the rest of this weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That film, was that the one with the Mt.Dew.... because I made my teen pinkie swear NOT to drink Mt. Dew....

    I'm so happy your husband want to eat more real food- and that will mean less bread and lower than he is eating carbs, too. How refreshing after Oprah advertises eating bread and losing weight. Sigh!!!!

    Eating and cooking the same foods is so helpful in many ways- it will strengthen your bond. And it will save you health care $$ down the road, too. Family financial solvency. Whoooo Hooooo!!!

    Here's to getting your baseline blood work done. Keep up the great work. Would love to know what you like to cook for your meals - what are your keeper and repeater meals once you are a few weeks/months down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That poor kid with rotted teeth from Mountain Dew ... Oh that was hard to watch. I know it was a free mobile dental clinic but I just wanted them to put him under and get it done. Now he will have to go back, likely more than a few times.

      Good idea about posting meals we eat ... I will start planning today. He has some bread left to use up today but he's already bought Greek yogurt with no added sugar to replace ice cream for dessert.

      Delete
  5. I loved "that sugar film". We went to see it and Damon (the film maker) was there for a talk after. Great too that your husband wants to change - it's so much easier doing this when you are both on board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping but it was trickier to plan lunches! I'm used to taking leftovers from dinner but now he's eating that with me! Lol.

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!