Saturday, January 16, 2016

8 lb drop in 1 week? It's Week #1 again!

I'm back and doing well -- I'll talk about my 8 pound drop this week in just a minute, for those of you still interested. First, let me apologise for not writing more, but the fact is I didn't know what to say. Hi, I'm still struggling and had a holiday regain? Who wants to read that?! Well I have lost a few subscribers anyway. People follow and unfollow for any number of reasons, but I can certainly understand only wanting to follow bloggers that inspire you. Struggling for a long time to break a stall may not be very inspiring reading, but it certainly is real. Most people who lose a large amount of weight don't sail effortlessly to goal. I wish it were true, but it's not. It reminds me of that drawing about what people think success looks like vs. what it actually looks like.



Struggling to break through stalls and reach goals is very common and very real. I did promise to share the good and the bad on this journey, so I'll try to remember that even when the going gets tough. Stalls suck, but I'm proud to say I have not given up, so maybe that's inspiring in and of itself.

In any case, when I last posted it was just before Christmas and I had every intention of staying the course through the holiday break. I was not successful. We had family up and every time I turned around it was an eating fest, whether at someone's home or out at a restaurant. I gave in on more than one occasion and quickly found myself regaining. I haven't posted weights lately, so here goes. On 19th December I was 80.7 kg (177.9 lb). by 2nd January I was 85.9 kg (189.38 lb). The family all went back home shortly after that and I was determined to start over. This time I thought I would try strict LCHF. I've dabbled with it and tried a few recipes, but never followed it strictly before, so I did for a whole week, using delicious recipes from DietDoctor.com. It was not easy eating that much fat and it was very high calorie, but I stuck it out for a week. On 9th January I was 87.7 kg (193.35 lb). What the hell ... I gained?!

Some people may do well on LCHF, but I didn't like it and was not about to continue! What to do? Going back to Dr Poon Phase 1 hadn't worked the last few times I tried it. But I had to do something, so I started again last Sunday (10th Jan). The next day I was down 1.5 kg (3.3 lb). Then another kilo (2.2 lb) the next day. I stayed steady the next day, then went up 100g (.22 lb), then saw another drop. Yesterday I was 84 kg exactly (185.19 lb), that's a loss of 3.7 kg (8.16 lb) in just 5 days. I haven't seen a drop that big since my very first week of Pooning!  In fact, that's exactly what I lost in my very first week! Today I'm up 100g (.22 lb) but that doesn't worry me, I'm still down 8 pounds! Now lest you think it was all water weight, my scale says it was over half fat.

So why did it work this week? What's changed? The only thing I can think of is I've started my 2nd month of progesterone cream. If the hormonal change of nearing menopause was causing my weight struggles (as it does for so many women my age) then maybe progesterone cream is making a difference. My cycle sure is behaving the way it used to a couple of years ago. No more of this every three week crap, it's more like 37 days now. I don't know whether it's the progesterone cream or not, but I plan to keep using it. And I'll ask the doctor about it.

Yes, I did schedule an appointment to have my thyroid checked. I scheduled it before I saw this week's drop, and part of me wonders if I should cancel (it's rather expensive!) but I don't want to assume one very good week means I'm back on track. And the thyroid could still be a factor. I have quite a few of the symptoms listed in the article Jan kindly shared with me, and while some of them could apply to PCOS as well, I'd like to be sure. The nurse told me the doctor would charge me $250 (I'd get $150 reimbursed from Medicare) but I didn't think to ask whether there would be any other charges (e.g. for pathology). I think it's important get tested though, so I think I should keep the appointment.

Anyway, thank you to those of you who are still with me, I appreciate it very much. I will be in touch more frequently, I promise. I'll leave you with another great success graphic, and I hope it helps you as much as it does me.



I'll be sure to let you know how the thyroid tests go. Hope your new year is off to a great start! :)

11 comments:

  1. 1. Get a baseline thyroid tests run. Needing synthetic thyroid hormone is very common as we age. I had Hashimotos. Think a stall is bad? Feeling 80-90 years old, having a goiter and wanting to throw yourself under the commuter train rather than going to work and getting lost in the Costco parking lot 3 miles from your house (I was 31 at the time). It was bad and horrid. I don't wish that upon anyone. Get a base line. Then if you have issues later, you'll get meds sooner.

    Sigh,

    Congrats at going back to what works. KEEP blogging. If you have 5 followers, keep sharing your story. There are not enough weight maintenance bloggers. If there were more weight maintenance bloggers like you, Leigh at Punchapalooza, and Lynda at Living the Life. Jeanette at For Life.

    We are all genetically different and our given genes will express differently. So someone who is like you, who will lose will need someone to model after. Weight maintenance now and 2+ years from now- we need a variety of genes (bloggers!!!) who share their stories.

    I can't tell you how often I've modeled after moderate eaters who are regainers that have been touted as "the example" to follow. Ugh, NO, not really. I didn't have the self efficacy like you to pick a plan that works, adjust for your age and hormonal changes as you go.

    Keep blogging, keep talking about what works for you, even if it's not what your following is. I'm thrilled when people unsubscribe or call me names (yes, yes, it happens a lot, yawn, who cares? I'm thrilled that they are free to move along to something that works, even if they have the emotional intelligence of a third grader)

    Anyhoo, keep up the the great progress on your plan. I would love to go back to Medifast for my 5 pounds to lose, but I can't due to dairy being in most products. I can't complain, being in Ketosis works for me very well right now, and I get so much done with my keto brain. LOL.

    I'll be linking to your post, if that's okay with you. :) Happy for you and major kudos for sharing whatever works for you. The paleo's hate I lost via Medifast, the Medifast, WW crew hate high fat. I have huge medical bills to pay if I regain- insurance and chronic and acute illness. None of the haters pay my bills (single mom) Oh, and zip, zip hooray is the noise my jeans make every day! LOL.

    Onward! Your genetics will choose your plan. Sticking to it is gold. BRAVO. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, girl, you always say the kindest things. Thank you my friend. When you stall for a long time you're willing to try anything to get it moving again, but Dr Poon's plan got me this far so I keep coming back to it. I truly believe there's an age/hormone related reason for my stall and I will work through it. I know some people feel what works for them is the right diet, and will work for everyone, but I do not believe one thing works for all, so you're right, we gotta find what works for us and then fine-tune as required.

      I will get the thyroid tests done, though I think I erred on the amount I'll get refunded ... I think it's only $100 so it is costly but I think I need to know one way or the other. thanks again my friend.

      Delete
  2. So pleased to read your post.

    I do think it worth getting your thyroid checked, and please let us know how you get on.

    You have done so well with your journey, and yes you have had ups and downs - but isn't that life too! For me your paragraph here says it all
    " Struggling to break through stalls and reach goals is very common and very real. I did promise to share the good and the bad on this journey, so I'll try to remember that even when the going gets tough. Stalls suck, but I'm proud to say I have not given up, so maybe that's inspiring in and of itself."

    Onwards and downwards into 2016 - we're on your side!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, I appreciate your kind words. My appointment isn't until 29th January but I will report back. And thanks for sharing that article to begin with or it would never have occurred to me to check that! :)

      Delete
  3. Glad you are back. We all have to find our own way, AND be willing to morph that way if it becomes necessary. I too struggled with the high fat part of LCHF, so I'm back to just the more low carb, Primal method. Good luck in your quest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen, much appreciated. We do indeed have to find our own way but I'm lucky to have blogging friends who inspire me along the way like yourself.

      Delete
    2. Aww thanks! :) Ditto!

      Delete
  4. I'm very familiar with that ziggy zaggy line in maintenance. It looks like that when I put my weight into MFP and then click on report.

    I've never had a weight loss like that even when I was around 180 and being very strict with my eating. I know it would make me happy to see such a loss.

    I'm always glad to read a new post from you. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caron. Thanks heaps. I would love to see that straight line too! But I'm grateful for the progress I have made and determined to continue onward. Glad to be back.

      Delete
  5. Nothing like an 8 pound loss to get readers back ; )) You go girl xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!