Monday, December 21, 2015

Things are going well ... is it due to progesterone cream?

I haven't blogged in a while, mostly because things are going well and I didn't want to jinx them. I saw a video review of Organic Excellence Feminine Balance cream with progesterone that is especially helpful for peri-menopausal and menopausal women. The reviewer said it relieved lots of her menopausal symptoms including hot flashes and she just swore by it.  Well I'm 52 but not experiencing any symptoms at all, other than my cycles tending to come every three weeks (where most of my life they were much longer due to PCOS). Not every woman experiences peri-menopausal symptoms - I don't recall my mother ever complaining about it at all. Still I wonder if hormonal changes might be why I can't seem to break free of this weight-loss stall.

I did a bit of research; one article gave a list of questions, and based on your answers advised whether you might have a hormonal imbalance. My answers pointed to estrogen dominance, and indicated progesterone might help. So I thought I'd try some of this cream, I mean it would either help or not, and it's safe for any woman to take. The guy that developed it is Dr John Lee, who is apparently an authority in the use of natural progesterone cream and hormone balance. So I ordered some and started using it as directed from the 12th to 26th day of my cycle. You apply 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon to thin-skinned areas such as your neck, face, breastbone or forearms twice a day.

Since I wasn't experiencing any noticeable symptoms, I wasn't surprised to find I didn't feel any different when using it. In the previous couple of weeks I'd found my weight creeping up a bit which frustrated me to no end. Although I'd tried a few times previously returning to strict Phase 1 of Dr Poon and it hadn't worked, I decided to try again, so all last week I was on Phase 1.

I'd chosen a bad week to start as all the signs of my cycle coming on were there, and yet I lost weight. Then I fully expected my cycle to start by the end of the week, and it didn't - I got the tenderness and cramps and even spotting - but nothing else. Why does that matter? Well that's how things used to be back before I started getting it every three weeks. It means this cycle is going to be about five weeks, assuming it starts this week. It makes me wonder if the changes affecting not only my cycle but my stubborn stall were due to hormonal changes, and whether in fact this cream might make a difference. It's too soon to tell, but certainly very interesting.

Something Jan commented on my previous post also piqued my interest (thank you Jan the article was a very interesting read). One of the things in the article that got my attention was the possible thyroid issues. There were about a dozen symptoms given that might mean thyroid issues, and I have eight of them! So I'm planning to see my doctor after the holidays and see if I can get that checked.

Anyways, it's great to have my weight moving downward again, and I will report on my weigh-in next time, I just wanted to check in and let you know things are going well. I'm feeling great and not worried about the approaching holidays. I have plans to make Phase 1 friendly meals to bring with me to the in-laws and I hope to soon be reporting sailing toward my goal. Wish me luck. :)

9 comments:

  1. LOL- no jinxing. Glad you are seeing progress on the scale.

    I went through menopause in 2012-2013, aged 48 or so. I'm not sure if its possible to get your hormones tested and have some adjustments made on that or not in your local area. That way any deficiencies or over productions can be pin pointed.

    Good luck and I'll be glad to follow you along. I ditto Jan's suggestion on thyroid. I had Hashimotos in '97 and without stable thyroid levels, I don't fare well on the scale- or in life in general. I've been on the same dose of synthetic thyroid since '97!

    Take care and happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I was thinking I could ask the doctor about estrogen dominance as well but not sure he can measure it accurately while I'm on the progesterone cream. Hopefully he can, maybe just before I'm due to start using it again. We'll see. Happy holidays to you as well!

      Delete
  2. Hi Anna - belated good wishes for the Christmas Season.

    Interesting to read about your experience with the cream, and I hope by commenting I haven't jinxed anything !!!

    Yes, I do think it well worth a visit to your Doctors in the New Year ... I wish you all the best and please keep us posted.

    In the meantime with the last few days of 2015 still with us, hope the remainder of this year is good and all good wishes for 2016.

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. All the best to you as well.

      Delete
  3. It will be so interesting to hear the answers on this one. Hormones are naughty little mites aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Anna, it's me Carla. Guess what! I weigh more than you now. What a very hard and strange couple of years I've had. This morning I weighed 184.8 lbs. So...back to the drawing board. I have transitioned to a vegetarian diet, if you could call it that, given all the junk I've eaten to get me here. So anyway...I'm thinking of blogging again. What do you think -- start a new one, or dig out Dharma in the Dishes and just carry on? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla! Lovely to hear from you again! Hey I know all about weight struggles. I say do whatever feels right to you. When I transitioned to this way of eating I kept the same blog but unpublished earlier posts for a fresh start.

      Delete
  5. Hope you are well and happy in this new year. Missing your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caron, I'm well. I do have news but haven't had time to post. But I will have an update soon! :)

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!