Sunday, November 22, 2015

Reason to celebrate!

So I've been trying to shift my focus these last couple of weeks, dealing again with period gain and frustration at my stall ... and the very kind messages from some of you, both in the comments of my last post and emailed to me privately, certainly helped lift my spirits. Thank you all, I appreciate it more than you know. Then something came along that made shifting my focus a whole lot easier ... at least for now. Some weeks back I applied for Australian citizenship ... which involves a lengthy application, much notarised evidence, and of course a fee. So I recently received an email advising I had an appointment to sit my citizenship test.

I had downloaded the resource kit months ago and took several practice tests, and I was fairly confident. Stilł, in the days leading up to my test I read the material again and took several more practice tests. Out of about 200 questions, they randomly ask you twenty, so I was hoping to get different questions each time I practiced it, but many were the same.

Then the day came and I went in to sit the actual test, and bring original documents of all the notarised copies I had submitted. About a third of the questions I got were not on the practice tests, but still I sailed through it, hesitating at just one. In the end I got one wrong (you're allowed five) and she said I had been the fastest person she'd ever seen complete the test. She couldn't say which one I got wrong but I'm sure it was the one I hesitated on. In any case, I passed and just had to wait for official notification that would advise whether I was approved. Well that came just a couple of days ago! I am approved but they will send me notification of when my citizenship ceremony will be (would be cool if it falls on Australia Day) and then I have to take an oath before I can officially become a citizen,

Both Australia and the U.S. allow dual citizenship, so I am in no way renouncing my US Citizenship, nor would I ever. But my life is here now with my husband. In fact, today is our 12th Wedding Anniversary so we have two things to celebrate. :)

10 comments:

  1. ... and enjoy your celebrations.
    Happy 12th Wedding Anniversary

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary and Congratulations! Welcome to the Commonwealth:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, we're members of the same club! Lol. Thanks Leigh. :)

      Delete
  3. OMG!!! That is so rich. Dual citizenship is good for many resources from both countries. I'm so, so happy for you. And congrats on your anniversary as well.

    Happy dance! Karen P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary and Happy citizenship day! We had the opportunity in both Australia and Canada to get citizenship, but always knew we would end up in the USA so decided not to. If we'd stayed in either country we definitely would have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siobhan. I get that. I've made a home here with my Aussie husband so it felt right. :)

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!