Sunday, November 1, 2015

A smaller drop, and what I'm eating

So when I last checked in I was 76.7 kg (169 lb), and as I predicted, my next drop wouldn't be quite as big. I am now 76.0 kg (167.5 lb), a loss of a pound and a half, and that's fine with me.

What's made it really easy to follow my new plan is having quick, easy breakfast and lunch options I can just grab and go without having to cook.  Breakfast is usually a protein shake, and I frequently have tuna for lunch with an individually wrapped cheese stick to bring up the fat content a bit (and because they're so tasty) or just some cottage cheese and pickles.  So really the only cooking I'm doing is for evening meals, on the days I eat them. I have been having some form of dessert every day such as an Atkins bar or ice cream treat which of course are made with artificial sweeteners. I would like to reduce my use of artificial sweeteners but have relied on them throughout my weight-loss journey because they do make it easier and my view is whatever helps you get there is OK.

I never thought I'd be a fan of these flavoured tunas as growing up we always had just mayonnaise in tuna. I still like it with mayo and often have it that way on a big bed of salad, but these little tins of flavoured tunas are so quick and convenient to grab for lunch that I have been using them a lot more often. My favourite flavours have been Zesty Vinaigrette and Sun-dried Tomato and Basil.  I'm not a fan of fish in general, so tuna is about the only way to get me to eat fish.

They're so convenient and I really like them, but I've always heard you shouldn't eat too much tuna due to the possible mercury contamination. I know several people in Australia that eat tuna every day and tell me they're not worried about mercury at all. One said she feeds it to her children every day as well and she's never even heard of any mercury worries.  I have heard recommendations to only have tuna once or twice a week, but if you go on the websites for the companies that produce it, they claim they monitor mercury levels very carefully and there is no cause for concern. Do most people still worry about mercury contamination in tuna?

Not much else to report - hope you all had a Spooktacular Halloween.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Anna, grab and go meals. Very good.

    RE: mercury in tuna, yeah, in the US, there still seems to be a concern. I have a friend who is very sensitive to mercury and feels that it induced a wicked bad case of vertigo for her. She stops the salmon and fish and the vertigo goes away. We're talking disability level, so stopping the fish is good for her.

    I know the American Paleo's advocate smaller fish- like sardines and anchovies. I have trouble stomaching both. I make myself eat sardines quarterly to try to keep introducing them to myself. I also just purchased some Alaskan Salmon for myself.

    I like the idea of seasoned tuna. Thanks for sharing your favorite flavors. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I've had salmon before and it was ok, but I don't think I could ever eat sardines or anchovies. Just not a fan of fish at all, really.

      Delete
  2. Well Done Anna ... it's another drop ... I'm clapping loudly, hope you can hear!

    We eat fish once or twice a week, usually for our evening meal with some low carb veggies.

    We've had a good Halloween - can't believe November is here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I've been having tuna nearly every day lately. Flavoured ones are relatively new ... I never saw them in the U.S. so I don't know if it's an Aussie thing maybe. Glad you had a good Halloween, it's my favourite holiday!

      Delete
  3. Good job! Your diet sounds a lot like mine, but I'm not quite dropping the kegs. Just need to check my portions a little more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll come check out your blog and see how you're going. :)

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!