Sunday, October 11, 2015

Changing things up again

Hi guys. I had hoped to write that I'd broken through the stall since returning from the States, but that's not the case. I'm maintaining, thankfully, not gaining ... but I must get things moving again. I continue to read and research, as I always have. I came across another woman doing LCHF and intermittent fasting but it wasn't working for her since she'd entered peri-menopause, and I thought maybe that's my problem, too. What was working for me during the last two years of this journey just isn't working to get me across that finish line, so I'm changing things up again. No, I'm not going to eat only steak and eggs -- I couldn't stay on that very long, and while it may be great for male bodybuilders, I'm not convinced it would work for a woman of my age approaching menopause.

So here's the plan. As much as I have loved NOT having to count anything for the last two years, I'm going to start again, at least for awhile, just to see what I'm actually eating. So the diet will stay LCHF, and rather than a complete fasting day, I'll be skipping dinner every other day. I've planned out my foods for the next week in FitDay and set my goals for about 1200 calories (on the days I eat dinner), with less than 30g (10% of calories) from carbs, and about 80g (60%) fat and 90g (30%) protein.  I won't fall exactly on those numbers every day, given I'm skipping dinners on alternate days and find it hard to keep protein under 30%, but I've come very close. And I am eating something in the evenings, even if it's a Greek yogurt (no sugar added), I'm just not having a main course. Let's give this a go next week and see what happens.

I've been getting plenty of exercise, too -- we bought some new folding bikes and take them to some of our favourite trails to ride -- I'm talking 1-2 hour bike rides. We still get in walks several times a week, and we've also been ripping out an old pool in the back yard. This involved tearing down the old one (so not easy), digging up the support posts which were cemented in and connected to each other by metal bands, and removing the old fence that circled the pool. The fence posts were seriously cemented in but we found a great way to remove them easily using a level, but over all this process has been hard labour. I'm feeling muscles I haven't used in a long time, but it feels really good. So the exercise will continue, we're really enjoying the new bikes!

That's it for now -- I'll check back in next week or so and let you know how it went.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I hope it works. I am 14 years past menopause, and LCHF with once or twice week meal skipping IF worked fine for me. It could be as one begins to enter menopause though, it's different. I wish you well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen. That's what I'm doing but skipping a meal every other day while counting calories. It's still LCHF.

      Delete
    2. Anna,, I hope you don't mind if I use your comment section to write to Gwen and hope she sees it!

      Gwen, I had been following you forever, and then I got way behind in my reading and now I can't find your blog. Are you still blogging? I miss reading what you write! I hope to hear from you!
      Cathy

      Delete
  2. Hi Anna - that does sound a good plan, always good to have a plan!

    But the positive is that you are /have been maintaining, and that is to be applauded.
    Looking forward to hearing how things progress.

    BTW glad to hear you like the rustic pork casserole (on the low carb blog today) it is one of our favourites, and so easy to make.

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, and I hope to try more of your recipes, they always look tasty!

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!