Thursday, July 2, 2015

DietDoctor - Lose Weight with Intermittent Fasting

DietDoctor.com has a great article on Intermittent Fasting for those who'd like more information. I'll summarise it below but you can find the full article here.

This especially caught my eye: "there are many things to consider before moving on to this thing, but don’t let that fool you. This is one of the most effective weapons available to lose weight. It’s perfect if you are stuck at a weight-loss plateau despite 'doing everything right' – or to speed up your weight loss." That's exactly where I found myself. After many months of steady drops I found myself at a plateau despite doing everything I had done to lose weight, and more. Intermittent Fasting was the plateau breaker I needed. Here's more from the article:
_______
In fact on an LCHF diet some people spontaneously fall into this habit, as their appetite is reduced (see weight loss tip #4, eat only when hungry).
Intermittent fasting is about eating all that your body needs… while still allowing it to sometimes briefly rest from constant feeding.

What’s Acceptable to Drink During Fasts?

During a fast you can’t eat, but you should definitely drink. Water is the drink of choice, but coffee and tea are also great options. During longer fasts it can be wise to add a little salt too, or drink bouillon.
Anything you drink should ideally be zero calories. But it may be acceptable to cheat by adding a small amount of milk in your coffee or tea – if you absolutely need it to enjoy your drink.

What to Eat Between Fasts

So what should you eat when you are not fasting? Well, if your goal is to lose weight I suggest following all the tips above, including eating an LCHF diet. Combining this with intermittent fasting is a great combination.
On a LCHF diet your hunger is reduced and it’s much easier to do a period of fasting. Also, your fat burning is already very good – so when fasting you’ll easily burn lots of fat.
So, while on an LCHF diet the fasting periods become both easier to do and more effective. 1 + 1 equals 3.
_______
DietDoctor.com is a great website for information on health and weight loss, especially using LCHF (Low Carb High Fat, or sometimes Low Carb Healthy Fat) diets. Check it out!

4 comments:

  1. I read a lot on ADF, and 5:2 fasting, but there seemed to be a fair amount of people who were seeing an increase in bp scores a few months in, and that scared me off. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've done tons of reading and watched lots of videos on IF and this is the first I have heard of that. I searched and found one forum post where someone who had blood pressure issues prior to starting IF did find their BP rose. A response from someone claiming to be a doctor found that strange and wondered if it might be higher sodium or caffeine, or due to medications or stimulants. Or possibly if they were trying to go below a healthy weight for them. I don't know but I work with nurses and will have my BP checked. It's generally in a normal to very slightly low range so this will be interesting to check out. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
    2. Gwen, I finally found a comment from Dr Jason Fung that addresses this concern. He's the expert I turned to for advice when I started ADF. He said
      This may be the effect of the increased growth hormone and epinephrine. In our experience, it tends to be transient, but if it persists you may need to speak to your physician to adjust medications. More often, we reduce BP meds as weight decreases.

      Delete
  2. I like Diet Doctor site too, there is always a host of good information there.

    Have a good weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!