Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Put a stop to limiting beliefs

I started learning to run because I never believed it was something I could do; I wanted to stretch my boundaries, face my fears and give it a go. It wasn't easy and I had to start with my own shorter intervals as one minute was too hard back then, but I eventually completed the C25K program. Once I ran at 8.2 kph, but on average my speed was 7.8 kph. When I restarted the program this year I was running 8 kph for the smaller intervals but as I had to run for longer periods I worried I couldn't do it. I didn't believe I would be able to run at 8 kph for 20 minutes or more, so I'd been setting it for 7.6 the last few weeks.

So for my first run since finishing C25K I decided to start at 8 kph and see how long I could go before reducing my speed. I thought just get to 15 minutes ... then it became just till the end of this song. Before I knew it I had five minutes left and thought I might just make it after all. And I did! Why did I doubt myself?

How do you know you can't do something if you don't try? Limiting beliefs can really hold us back. What might we accomplish if we only believed we could? I don't know, but I'm thinking I might just stay at 30 minutes for awhile and try increasing speed by one point each time ... who knows, in a few weeks I could be running at 9 kph! One of my treadmill programs had me doing a few intervals at 9 kph for three minutes, and it was quite challenging. Why can't I work up to that for longer runs? I'm going to find out by giving it my best go. Wish me luck.


6 comments:

  1. Of course I'm wishing you luck! You are a ROCK STAR, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen! Let's see what I really can do!

      Delete
  2. Never say never but keep on trying ...... be realistic though !

    Good Luck, take Care and have a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan ... I'm still not looking to run marathons! Lol. Nor do I think I'm likely to run at 10 kph which would actually get me 5k in 30 minutes. But you never know. I'm gonna see what I'm capable of rather than talk myself out of trying. That's really all it's about.

      Delete
  3. Once upon a time I said I would never run a full marathon (in fact I said it was crazy), and was very, very doubtful that I would run a half. I've now run 2 half marathons and even though I haven't run a full one yet it's only because I injured myself and I plan to (hopefully this year). It's amazing what you end up doing after saying you'll never do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, who knows where this will take me? Congrats on your half marathons. I'm still at the stage where that seems crazy to me LOL but I am in awe of those who have done it.

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!