Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I ran an hour, for over 7k ... OMG

Me! Ran for an hour!? Seriously, can you believe it?

After having run 40 minutes a couple of times at 8k (with 1 minute walks every 10 minutes) I struggled to do it a third time. Last week I did a treadmill program that took me from 5kph to 7 then 9, then back down and up again. I felt really comfortable at 7kph - it's not fast, it's a nice jog for me (I've got short legs, I'm not even 5'4"), and I enjoyed it.

So tonight I thought I'd put on a TV show rather than having an app telling me when to run or worrying about my speed, and I'd just go 7kph for as long as I wanted. The only show I had loaded on the iPad was the first episode of Downton Abbey, which was 1hr 6 minutes long. Since I've seen it, it wouldn't matter if I missed anything (it can be hard to hear over the ceiling fan and the treadmill even with my Bluetooth speaker). I walked for five minutes, then set the speed to 7kph and started jogging.

I love the show, and it had been awhile since I saw the first episode so it was easy to get wrapped up in it. Before I knew it I'd run 20 minutes ... then 30, then 40.  Next thing I knew I passed the 1 hour mark and the credits started rolling by.  I started my cool-down walk. I could not believe I'd gone a whole hour with no walk breaks -- I felt great!

Now, a couple hours later, I can definitely feel it and I'll probably be a bit tender tomorrow after a night's sleep, but for now I just feel freaking amazing. I think rather than worrying about my speed, I'm just going to work on distance for a while. Oh, and according to the treadmill I burned 500 calories my friend -- usually it says about 350. No idea how accurate that is, but it's a big increase either way. Fantastic!

12 comments:

  1. Congrats! You've come SO far! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gwen! I was just saying to hubby, "Remember when I started and I had to make my own smaller intervals because I couldn't even run for a whole minute? Now I did an hour?" That is pretty far. :

      Delete
  2. Wow that is brilliant - I am so pleased for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work Anna! You are truly an inspiration. I am very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katrin. It amazes me the things we can do if we stop thinking we can't.

      Delete
  4. You are totally rocking it ... You should be so proud of yourself and all that you continue to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are incredibly awesome. I don't believe I've told you that in a while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend, that means a lot to me. :)

      Delete
  6. You are FAN-F#^*ING-TASTIC!!! Holy shit girl! I haven't been reading like the last two months so this is what I came back to. Amazing!!!! You are totally awesome but you knew that already. I am sure you never tire of hearing that though. Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks Mrs Swan! It looks like slow and steady does win the race eventually. For me at least. Lol.

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!