Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 5 of C25K, and changing up the IF

Today was week 5, day 2 of my second round of C25K, this time on the treadmill. I had forgotten that this week they reallly take you up a notch. Previously each week you repeat the same pattern each of the three days. Not this week. I went from three 5 minute intervals, to two 8 minute intervals today, and Friday will be a solid 20 minute run! I am still adding extra intervals to keep building endurance and to keep my total run time at about 20 minutes. I wasn't sure I'd be able to today but I did. But as soon as I finished I was already dreading Friday's 20 minute run. Then I remembered how it was last time. I didn't actually go straight from 5 to 8 to 20 minute runs. I ended up having to repeat the 8 minute day a couple of times first. But this time I think I'm ready -- I'm going for it!

When I did run the 20 minutes last time it was on Anzac Day and I remember using that to motivate me to get through the full 20 minutes. I remember several times wanting to give up during the run as it just seemed too hard. Then I would say no, this is Anzac Day. Today Australia honours its war veterans; now these people knew hard! Running for 20 minutes is nothing! Keep going! And it worked. I made it and I felt freaking amazing afterwards. Here's hoping it goes as well this time.

Now, as for eating, I've decided to go a different route this week with the intermittent fasting (IF). When I've had to fast for medical procedures in the past, I did two days without much difficulty, and I dropped weight as well. Of course I was home those days, not at work. I've decided to switch to a 5:2 schedule, meaning eat normally for five days and fast completely for two days -- I'm trying Thursday and Sunday. So tomorrow will be my first time trying a full day fast while at work. Hopefully that makes it easier, as I'll be kept busy during the day.  Since I technically finished eating tonight at about 8pm, and won't have anything till about 8am Friday morning, it's about a 36 hour fast. I didn't want to fast on a day I'd be running, and on Tu/Th/Sun I've been walking and doing Callanetics. So these seemed like logical days to try my fast.  That's about it for now -- wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. "I've decided to switch to a 5:2 schedule, meaning eat normally for five days and fast completely for two days -- I'm trying Thursday and Sunday."

    As I think I've said before I have read many who like this 5:2 so I do hope it works well for you, be interested to hear within the coming weeks.

    In the meantime .....

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!