Sunday, February 8, 2015

First week of 5:2 fasting and I'm down 3.75 lb!

I couldn't be happier -- I did switch to 5:2 intermittent fasting this week, so I fasted completely for two days. They do say you can have up to 500 calories on a fast day but I find it much easier to eat nothing. So I had nothing at all but calorie free beverages on my fast days, and mostly water at that. The results? This morning I weighed in at 80.9 kg (178.35 lb) which is a loss of 1.7 kg (3.75 lb) from last week, and puts me close to the record low I was at before Christmas (80.2 kg or 176.81 lb). But hey, I'm back in the 170s and that makes me so happy!

For workouts, I got through week 5 of C25K on the treadmill, and that means yes I did the full 20 minutes straight run on Friday. I had great music and a scenic video playing and the time passed quicker than I thought it would. Hubby bought me this great iPad holder so the iPad sat above the treadmill display -- no more blocking the display or risking it falling off while I run! I loved it. If I get bored of the various scenic videos I've collected on my playlist, someone suggested watching a TV show while I run. It would have to be a mindless comedy I think, as it would be hard to concentrate on anything else while you're running, especially on a longer run like this one.  But I might give it a try.



In addition to three C25K runs on the treadmill, I had three big walks outside this week (6.7, 7.8 and 5 klm respectively) and three sessions of Callanetics, so I've definitely gotten in my workouts and I'm feeling it, but in a very good way.

The fasting wasn't so difficult, really. I chose Thursday and Sunday for my fasting days. Thursday went very well. I worried it might be difficult at work but the distraction of being busy definitely helped. I didn't really get hungry much. Hunger does come in waves, you're not starving all day. In fact I got hungry at about the normal meal times throughout the day. A bit in the morning when I would usually have breakfast, then again about noon, and dinner time, but it passed and I felt fine.

The weekend came and we were busy on that big 7.8k walk Saturday morning, after which I had to rush off to an appointment, so I didn't get a chance to eat in the morning. By the time I got home it was about 2:45 pm. I thought to myself, it's nearly 3pm and I haven't eaten yet. Why eat now and fast tomorrow when the day is half over and I've been fasting anyway! So Saturday became my second fast day. It was not harder per se, as in I didn't get hungry much. But later in the day I felt a bit tired and just the tiniest bit lightheaded. I reckon that's possibly due to having my second fast day so close to the first one. So I do think it's probably better to space them out with at least two eating days between. I'll do my best to stick to Thursday and Sunday this coming week. I don't think I would do well fasting two days in a row, though some people do the 5:2 that way.

Anyway, that's my week -- hope yours was good.  I'm off to catch up on my blog reading.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your fasting experiment!!! Love the iPad set up.

    I will blog soon about my experiment. Interesting results. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, much appreciated. I look forward to reading about your experiment.

      Delete
  2. FANTASTIC I'm clapping LOUDLY

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!