Thursday, January 15, 2015

How NOT to have diabetes; and bringing this journey home

I read with interest this post on the Wheat Belly blog in which Dr Davis provides a checklist that he says, if followed would allow the majority of pre-diabetics and diabetics to become non-pre-diabetic and non-diabetic. You can read his article for more information, but here's the list:

  • Eat no grains or sugars
  • Don't limit fat intake
  • Correct vitamin D deficiency
  • Supplement omega-3 fatty acids (from fish oil)
  • Correct bowel flora
  • Supplement magnesium
  • Fast intermittently
  • Sleep adequately
  • Be active

I don't eat grains or sugar, but I do limit fat on Dr Poon's Diet. I used to take Magnesium but haven't in awhile. I do take Calcium plus Vitamin D but I don't do fish oil. My probiotics have run out but they are so expensive! I've been getting enough sleep, I've been active, that's for sure. That leaves intermittent fasting. I kinda do that on weekends now, rarely eating breakfast, but I want to try a scheduled fast. I'm not sure whether the 4:3 or the 8 hr window method is right for me. I'm leaning toward the latter, because I can easily just skip breakfast and hold lunch till 12 noon. Then stop eating at 8pm for an 8 hour eating window. Or eat only from 9am to 5pm - whatever works for you, the goal is to just have an 8 hour window each day during which you can eat.

Tonight I stood in the doorway of my living room enjoying the cool breeze and asked myself, "Are we ready to do this? Are we ready to finish this journey and bring it home now?" I've eaten right (other than during the holidays) and worked out but I'm still stalled at this weight. I've hovered between 80 and 85kg for the last four and a half months. I have stayed mostly Phase 1 and worked out, and if that's not enough then we're gonna have to shake things up.

I'm going to do this. I've got to step it up. I haven't used this plateau as an excuse to quit, and that's good. Maintaining my weight for over four months is better than gaining. But I'm not ready to stop this close to reaching my goal. Achieving my goal weight is what I want. Hovering on the line between overweight and obese is not what I want. I need to go after what I want. I start this weekend.

I'm on week 2 day 3 in the C25K but this time on the treadmill. I'm averaging 8.8k/hr when running. I'm really enjoying doing it on the treadmill. I've found the right position for my iPad so I can still see the stats I need to on the display. I can start them at the same time and listen to music without needing headphones. Hubby said I have a great little set-up going. Now if the C25K app would just stay active when I launch YouTube so I could watch more scenic views, that would be perfect. :)

10 comments:

  1. Anna I just have to say you are so inspiring to read. You are so determined. I know you will get to your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna - I wonder if this counts as intermittent fasting? Eat my last meal of the day by 6 p.m. and don't eat again until breakfast, usually after 7 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a bigger window, but sure, it counts. :)

      Delete
  3. More research, an open mind, and a persistence to get optimally healthy...is the way to succeed, dear Anna!

    I intermittent fast. I don't break it down to an hour'ed schedule though, for me. I have these rules:

    1. if I am going to have a restaurant meal, I must only eat two meals that day. So if it's lunch out, I skip dinner. If it's dinner out, I skip lunch.
    2. weekends, it's two meals a day. May or may not be affected by #1 rule.
    3. on the days I IF, I make sure the meals I DO eat are as healthy and natural as possible. I mean, if I'm going to limit my nutrition, I have to do my best to make what I DO eat super healthy.

    It's really worked for me. Eating primary natural foods only, and rather high on protein and fat....I never get hungry when I IF. Oh, occasionally when I first lie down in bed, there may be a hunger grumble, but it doesn't ever keep me awake, and I never awake hungry. Breakfast is always all protein, so that always helps keep true hunger at bay.

    I'm trying to up my fat this year. I'm having (besides the natural oils in nuts, cheese, and meats)...a small avocado a day. It's not hurting me on the scale, and might be helping, actually. A tiny dusting of pink Himalayan salt on it, and booyah!

    I know you will continue to read, test, and assimilate, and those are all key traits that will serve you well in life-long maintenance, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen. I'm always reading and trying to learn more - whatever helps me reach goal and be as healthy as possible. I've done it a few times in the past and had a few grumblies now and then, but no real hunger. And I have no trouble doing it on the weekends, but because I'm up earlier during the week I tend to have breakfast, then not eat lunch til nearly 2pm.

      I think the structure will help me, and I'm thinking maybe 11am to 7pm might suit me best.

      Delete
  4. Hi Anna ..... so many use the start of a New Year to bring in new fitness or health regimes ..... and we each have to find the one that best suits us.

    I've followed you for a while now and you never give up. There are so many blogs and forums these days for health, fitness, weight loss etc. I love the way you have kept focused that is important.

    I've just put a very simple article on our blog which I've given a link to here (that's if you don't mind?)

    http://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/five-simple-health-and-fitness-tips-for.html

    Hope 2015 continues to go well

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Jan, and thanks for your kind words. I've lost weight so many times and always quit when I hit the plateau. This time I refuse -- no matter what, I am not giving up on reaching my goal weight this time. Then my focus will become maintaining it! :)

      Delete
  5. I love IF ... spent way too many years forcing myself to eat breakfast when my natural rhythm is to fast from 6 pm to 10 or 11 am. I usually have 2 nutrition-dense meals and occasionally a snack if I get hungry.

    Good for you for working on what will help you get rid of those last pounds. With your attitude you definitely will have success!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!