Sunday, January 4, 2015

Here's to reaching goal and having more joy in 2015!

On 14th December I was at a new low weight, 80.2kg (176.81 lb). By 25th December it was 85.6 kg (188.72 lb). Today, happily, I am back to 82.2 kg (181.22 lb). Now half of that was likely monthly weight gain which, as I approach the menopausal years, has increased ... both in amount and the number of days it hangs around. But the rest is because I gave in to holiday indulgences. One person said, "come on, it's Christmas," and I allowed myself a few treats. I reasoned as I get closer to goal I will have to deal with real life and the occasional off-plan food. But I didn't realise how quickly sugar could reignite cravings, and one day turned into five. It's over, it's history, and I won't be doing that again.

My holiday leave is nearly over, too. Being off work has never made staying on track easier for me, but one thing I am proud of is I have continued to exercise throughout my time off, whether walking with hubby and the dog, working on home renovation projects or hopping on my new treadmill. I've done several HIIT treadmill workouts, and I do definitely feel a difference between using the treadmill and running outside. It took a bit to get comfortable enough to let go of the handles and swing my arms whether walking or running. I have done my own intervals and I've used the stored programs. One ran 36 minutes and included 18 minutes of running at different speeds.

When I used the apps to track my running outside I was averaging about 7.8 km/hr, and occasionally just above 8. This program was in three minute intervals starting with walking 5 km/hr, then running at 7, then 9, then 7 again before dropping back down to 5 twice, then repeating the 7/9/7/5 again. It finishes with walking at 1 km/hr which feels like you're not even moving at that point. It was definitely a challenge to run at 9 for three minutes straight - twice! I am certain I would never have run that fast outside. There was a moment I worried I couldn't keep it up and nearly grabbed onto the handrails for a second but quickly stopped myself and kept going. I could see the timer had less than a minute left and I kept telling myself, 'you can do this,' and so I did. So increased speed is definitely a treadmill advantage ... it is easy to just run slower outside. I also liked not worrying about trip hazards.

I found room in the spare room for the treadmill and even carved out a small nook for some relaxation and meditation as well. I am not setting any resolutions as I don't believe in them. But I still have goals for the coming year. Reaching my goal weight is of course still top priority. In one year I lost 100 pounds. In the next four months I mostly stalled but slowly dropped another ten. I may have to re-lose a few of those now but I am determined to reach my goal ... preferably in the next four months, but definitely by my next birthday. The plan is to use the treadmill to do HIIT intervals either using the built in programs or my own. I have downloaded a running scenery app so I have something interesting to look at, and I can use that with the C25K app... that way it can tell me when to change so I don't have to watch the timer, and instead of walk/jog I can do jog/run intervals to create my own high intensity interval program. Getting in regular walks/runs (outdoors or on the treadmill) as well as strength training and Callanetics is the plan. Finding time to meditate is also important to me, and of course so is singing.

This year I will find a way to sing. I was recently approached by a guy I used to gig with to fill in for him a couple of times over the holiday season, but that's not what I'm after. I want to sing just to feel good, just to feel ME. Hubby has the equipment so I want to set up a microphone and amp and practice at home, in my spare room. If I find it leads to something more, great - but the most important reason for me to sing is that it brings me joy. We could all use more joy. So maybe that's the basic goal - to do more things that bring me joy in 2015.  Why not? I hope you will, too.

5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year and best of luck for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are back on track after some holiday indulgences. I didn't know you sang! (well, you know what I mean. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great that you are back on track so fast after the holidays - I know this will be the year you hit goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy eating
    Healthy exercise

    ..... and yes more singing - I can remember the video you posted last year it was good.

    Have a great 2015

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone ... life is too short so we all gotta reach for what brings us joy. Good health and fitness definitely brings joy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!