Saturday, November 29, 2014

Holiday is over, time to start tracking

I have been enjoying my time off work, and that's meant spending more time with my husband enjoying each other's company and working on projects around the house, while spending less time in the blog world.  So unfortunately I haven't had much time to read other blogs either, but I'll be catching up with many of you in the next couple of days. I will be posting more regularly now, and also changing my focus a bit.

It's no secret I've been at a bit of a stall for nearly 3-1/2 months now. But it's also true that during that time I've hit new low weights three times. I'm not at a complete stand-still, and the ups and downs tend to sync with my cycle -- rather like two steps forward, one and a half steps back, then hold steady before starting over again. I have seen a new low weight each month, but just barely. It's not a total stall but it sure feels like one. Truthfully I am grateful for any and all progress -- but I am also determined to get things moving again.  Two nice drops at the start of my holiday made me think the stall had ended, but I now know it's just changed tactics. Therefore so must I.

I keep a weekly log documenting not only my ups and downs, but also my cycle, and I can see the pattern has changed. I'm 51 years old and have PCOS. I have no idea what to expect from menopause but it's likely it's going to be messing with me even more as I get older. For many years I would go two months or longer between cycles, but as I got closer to 50 I got more regular, not less. Now it could be three to six weeks but instead of one week gain before I tend to get two now.  That's why I feel like I'm getting nowhere.  But that's only part of the story.

While I set out to spend this holiday break pushing hard to get into the 70s I didn't get there. I did lots and lots of walking, often an hour and a half a day, and the challenging rainforest walk, etc. But I didn't do any other exercise, e.g. strength training or Callanetics, I just walked a lot. As for the eating -- well it's easier to stay strict Phase 1 when I am working than when I'm off. Work keeps me busy all day and I don't even think about eating between meals. I haven't gone off plan, but I've pushed the boundaries lately. I've given in to eating nuts when I shouldn't have, I've eaten more dairy, and I've allowed myself to have Atkins snack bars every day instead of as an occasional treat. It's easy to let that kind of behaviour become more frequent without realising it, so I'm going to try something new.

Starting tomorrow I'm going to track what I eat. It will make it much easier to see when I'm pushing boundaries if it's staring me right in the face. I'll track what I eat, and any exercise done that day. Hopefully that will help get me back on track. Tomorrow is my last day off before I return to work, so it's the perfect time to start. Hubby keeps telling me that as long as I'm not regaining I have nothing to worry about. He reminds me I'm fitter than he's ever seen me before. That may be true, but I'm not done yet -- I set a reasonable goal and I intend to reach it. I haven't even gotten out of the 'obese' category yet. That's my next milestone, and it's an important one -- I will get there!

3 comments:

  1. Anna, sounds like a really great plan, and good for you for realizing the ways that you've ...been off your normal plan a bit. I have no doubt you'll kick this stalling plateau to the curb in no time! Welcome back! I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracking what you eat sounds a good plan.

    Enjoy the last day of your time off before going back to work

    Take Care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!