Thursday, September 11, 2014

Dining out Greek style

I know absolutely nothing about Greek food, but I'm dining out with a group of friends this weekend at a Greek restaurant.  Now restaurant fare is rarely low-fat or low-sodium, so I generally just worry about staying as low-carb as possible as I so seldom dine out. It's served yum cha style, so basically they bring out small plates of the various menu items and you pick what you want to try, all you can eat for one price. I can eat just from one or two choices, or try a bit of everything.

Here are the choices for the evening:

  • Mixed Greek Dips
  • Vienna Bread
  • Greek Salad (traditional)
  • Pan Fried Haloumi (Sheep and goats cheese)
  • Flash Fried Calamari (baby calamari lightly dusted and flash fried)
  • Tiropites (Fetta and Ricotta filo parcels)
  • Grilled Chicken (marinated in salt, pepper and oregano)
  • Saganaki Prawns (in a tomato and fetta cheese salsa)
  • Spit Roast Lamb (sixteen hour slow roasted lamb shoulder)
  • Baked Vegetables

What do you think? Some of those sound like they could be fairly low-carb and most are available in gluten free if you ask. Gluten free doesn't necessarily mean low carb, but it couldn't hurt to ask anyway. The bread and dips are out, not sure what's in a Greek salad. I don't eat calamari and obviously filo parcels are out. I'm thinking the last four menu items sound like my best options.

If anyone is familiar with Greek food and can identify the best low-carb options, I'd love to know if I got it right. Obviously the baked vegetables will depend on what kind of vegetables they are. Low-carb or not, I'm thinking fried cheese might be a bit too high fat to include but it does sound good.

7 comments:

  1. Greek Salad is much like a regular salad, with the addition of feta cheese and kalamata olives. The dressing is generally oil-based.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good, I do like kalamata olives. :)

      Delete
  2. Greek fare, here in Canada anyway, can be very carby. A typical main is grilled meat, rice and roasted potatoes. Greek Salad here is "usually" sliced cucumber and tomato wedges, a little bit of red onion, feta cheese with olives and dressing is olive oil and lemon.
    Sounds like you've identified the best options on the menu. Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my fear, the carby sides. I think the fact it's small serves of single dishes works in my favour so hopefully you're right. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Greek salads here are shredded lettuce, feta cheese, shredded ham, kalamata olives, pepperoni peppers, I think tomatoes but it has been awhile. Be careful though. I have heard in some areas they put potato salad under the lettuce. I have never seen it myself but have read about it. Dressing is olive oil and vinegar mixture with seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Few extras in that version but sounds tasty. Lord I hope no potato salad, I would find that too tempting. Lol I like potato salad but haven't had any in some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Greek salads - and will there be any smashing of plates? Quite popular in some Greek Restaurants I've been to.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!