Thursday, August 14, 2014

Should you work out when sick? And Leigh's Chicken Ratatouille

I thought I'd share what we had for dinner tonight because it's one of my go-to favourites, so easy and really tasty. Suitable for Phase 2 on Dr Poon due to the tomatoes, it's Leigh's Easy Chicken Ratatouille. Hubby and I both love this stuff.


I needed something quick and easy, too, because I've been feeling like crap all day. The flu has been going around at work with several people off with it this week, and I just started feeling a bit of a cough and sore throat coming on as I left Wednesday. By that evening I knew I had it too. So I stayed home today - I hate when sick people come to work anyway and infect others - I mean, that's how I got it, so I wasn't going to do that to anyone else. But what awful timing! I'm in the middle of the 30 Day Shred! I definitely do not want to miss any workouts at this stage, when I'm seeing and feeling results, and I have just 13 days left. Whenever I get a cold or flu, due to my allergies it almost always turns into a full-blown sinus infection. I can see signs of it, but will know by tomorrow, and if that's the case I'll have to go in for antibiotics. So what to do about working out?

Well, I slept much of the day, but I just can't stay in bed all day, sick or not. So at 4:00 pm I made a decision. Hubby was a bit worried, but I decided to go for it. Maybe it would  actually help to work up a sweat! LOL So how'd I go? Honestly, it's only 20 minutes and went by pretty quickly as usual. There were only a couple of ab exercises during which the chest congestion was bothering me. I just took it easy on those exercises. By and large I didn't feel any worse for having done the workout, so I'm glad I did it. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Ordinarily I would have no problem skipping workouts on days I don't feel well, but now? Right in the middle of the 30 Day Shred? It's not that one day would make that much difference, it's more about having committed to the 30 days and wanting to follow through. Some of the tougher moves have really gotten easier in the last couple of days, so I know it's making a difference.  I used to get frequent sinus infections but I haven't had one in a very long time now. So I'm off to bed, it's early but I'm fighting to keep my eyes open right now. I really hope I'm feeling better tomorrow. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. I think my comment didn't take. Sounds more like a cold than flu; flu you have not only a raging fever, but your body aches and is SO exhausted you can barely sit up. Glad that whatever this is, is lighter than that. Hope it doesn't turn into another sinus infection for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me whichever one I'm exposed to it tends to become a sinus and/or chest infection because my allergies are so bad. I can already feel it so I'm off to the doctor. I don't generally get the other flu symptoms on the first day so time will tell.

      Delete
  2. I work out when I'm kinda sick. Not stay-in-bed sick, but just not feeling well. I've noticed it's more difficult and I'm probably not giving it my all, but I need to do it so I don't use it as an excuse...for two months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, if I miss one day it could be that much easier to skip more. I don't even want to give myself the option.

      Delete
  3. I hope that you get to feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna - do hope you are feeling a bit better.

    I was always told to take things that bit easier if feeling under the weather and wanting to exercise ... but we all know our bodies, just be sensible I guess is the answer.

    Chicken Ratatouille - good food. I had mediterranean chicken tonight great food..

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, I'll play it by ear. It was more the ab crunches that were hard due to chest congestion and coughing so I did take it easy on those.

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!