Sunday, August 3, 2014

Did I lose 100 pounds, or is the scale messing with me?

I seriously don't know what to make of this week's weigh-in. I was hoping to beat last week's weight of 85.6 kg (188.72 lb) and keep moving toward my goal of losing 100 pounds before my one year anniversary date on Dr. Poon (19th August). That's not too much to ask when I'm this close, right? I know things have been crawling ever so slowly lately, but I still have a couple of weeks left to do it.

So Saturday morning I was hoping to see 85 kg or less. I get on the scale and see 83.7 kg.  Holy crap! Could it be true?  No way! I am not one to double-check but I seriously could not help myself, I wanted to see it again! So I got on the scale again and this time it said 84.7 kg. What? A whole kilo difference? I wasn't imaging it, it really did say 83.7 the first time - even the body fat, bone and water percentages were different the second time, and hubby saw the first number too, so it really did change. What the hell!? Third time's a charm, right? I checked one more time. Still 84.7 kg. That first weight must have been a fluke so I decided to go with the 84.7. Hubby suggested I check it again after my walk. OK.

We went for our walk and it was really chilly out. I was so cold I started running just to warm up. I ran for maybe 5 minutes, then walked with him and the dog for awhile until we turned back and that cold breeze hit me again. I ran for the next five minutes or so again, and walked the rest of the way.  When we got home I got back on the scale and this time it said 86.2 kg! WTF?  There is no way my weight can fluctuate 3-6 pounds in an hour! I was so pissed. I know the number on the scale should not determine my emotional state for the day, but after all these awful fluctuations to see a new low weight only to have it yanked away -- well it really hit me hard. I only lost about 1.5 kilos during the month of June, so I had really high hopes for July. Ending it pretty much right where I started is not fair. Not after teasing me with 83.7 then 84.7. Maybe the 83.7 was a fluke, but I got 84.7 twice so does it count? Do I write it down for this week or not? I was ready to give up, just throw in the towel.  Hubby said all the right things and supported me as he always does, but I just was not hearing it, I was pissed.

I was so frustrated I forgot to enter it in my weekly spreadsheet until late last night. Not sure what I should put, just for the hell of it I entered 83.7 kg to see what I would have weighed had that been real. It would have been 184.53 pounds which would have meant I had lost 102.74 pounds!  No way!  So what if it was 84.7 then?  That would be 186.73 pounds which would mean I had lost 100.53 pounds! Either way I lost over 100 pounds -- except for that final weigh-in after my walk which is still where I'm at today! I cannot believe I got to 100 pounds lost yesterday and it was yanked away because I went for a walk!? I feel like I was robbed, I really do. So what weight do I list for this week? I think the 84.7 should count being as I confirmed it and I usually weigh first thing, not after a walk. It's not where I am now but it would hardly be the first time I gained the day after a new low weight. Only this time it was an hour after!

I did some research last night and found that apparently getting different weights like that on my particular scale is not uncommon - there's a forum where people with the same brand and model scale as me complained about the same thing happening to them. But I haven't seen anything like that until yesterday. So today I dug out my old scale (which doesn't show body fat or water %) and it agrees with the other scale. Well pretty much, it says 86.1 instead of 86.2.  So that's where I'm at this week, I don't know what to make of it. Did I lose 100 pounds or not?  Do I write 84.7 or 86.2? I give up.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Anna - Congratulations on losing 100 pounds!!! You are a phenomenal woman! The heavier weight after your walk was caused by carbon dioxide. I know...sounds ridiculous right? Here's a link: http://www.thespec.com/living-story/3858320-here-s-why-we-weigh-less-in-the-morning-than-we-do-before-bed/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marc, I will give that a read. And thanks for your kind words, much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. My weight varies wildly through out the day- even within an hour! Activity can definitely cause the scale to go up-- really, the only time the scale has ever gone down during the day is if I was dehydrated, which is not good at all. I had to make a new rule for myself, and that was get on the scale once, except the number, no matter what, and MoveOn. Not even stepping on it twice within the same minutes. Helps me not focus on the number too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I think you're right. From now on I will accept whatever I see that first time. Of course either way I would have been disappointed when it went up today, but I think it counted. But I'll go with 84.7 just so I leave room for improvement next week! Lol

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Anna! I'm giving it to you, since you hit it twice. I know you know this, but:

    1. only weigh ONCE a day, at most. I think you are actually at a stage where once or twice a week, tops, is better (for your mental/emotional health, and since you are stabilizing anyhow.)
    2. Do it consistently at the same time,same conditions, each time. Nekkid, first thing in the morning after your bowel movement, if possible.
    3. stand on the exact same SPOT of your scale, each time. I find variances for me when I place my feet even slightly differently on the scale.
    4. check the batteries. It might be getting erratic because it needs new batteries.
    5. how long have you had the scale? Might be time to replace.

    Don't fear. You'll get cleanly past that marker! You might also want to consider changing up WHAT you are eating. Eating the exact same foods all the time, no matter what the calories are (I know you don't track that anyhow), bores the body. You need to shake it up. Try new veggies. If you eat the same things at the same meals at the same time, vary them a bit. Eat a little bit more, occasionally a little bit less. Change things up to trigger the metabolism to start wondering what's next. I bet you are eating 'too little' with your consistent running pace now. But only change it a tiny bit. Even a tiny change can make a bit difference and kick start the metabolism to an even more efficient level. How much fruit are you eating in a day? Might want to lessen that amount, and replace it with healthy fats. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen! And you could be right, especially on the batteries. I bought the scale fairly soon after starting this program but it's been nearly a year of daily weighing for myself and weekly or fortnightly for hubby. I generally only do once a day and don't get too bothered by fluctuations, it's just lately as I've struggled and being this close to the 100 pound mark, it really got to me.

      I actually have changed what I eat lately ... to reduce it. I tend not to be hungry in the morning so I have skipped the ham egg and cheese and have just my Atkins shake. I do eat heaps of veggies but no fruit (though I had some blueberries the other day) ... I can have some fruits but am not a big fan of them and I figure why not avoid the added carbs. The trainer the other day suggested I may need to eat more fat and carbs and I do occasionally have more fat and even sodium, but not carbs. I haven't been running for weeks now, having moved workouts indoors in the cold weather. Still having recently started strength training, I need to eat enough to fuel that.

      Thanks for your tips, I appreciate the benefit of your experience and consider you an inspiration! :)

      Delete
  4. 100 pounds!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sorry your scale rained on your moment, but I totally count it!

    Holy sh!t, lady! You've lost ONE HUNDRED POUNDS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The common opinion seems to be it counts, so I'm claiming it! I did lose 100 pounds! Woot! :)

      Delete
  5. Not sure if my comment came through or not?

    But well done on your weight loss - whatever it was!

    Scales ....annoying or what.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... and they are SO annoying some days! Lol

      Delete
  6. Wow! Epically awesome! Congrats on the 100 lb loss!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Desiree, I am claiming it. Now I just gotta try to stay there! Lol

      Delete
  7. Congrats on 100 lbs! Never weigh yourself after exercise of any kind. I have been told by my doctor and a personal trainer that your body will always weigh more afterwards. It has to do with carbon dioxide and the muscles holding onto water (something like that!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good advice, I shall remember that. :)

      Delete
  8. OMG CONGRATS!!!! It totally counts and you have lost 100 lbs! Now send me your food diary so I can copy all of your meals. :P Yeah!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs Swan! Most of what I eat is on the recipe tab at the top of the blog. Feel free to browse! :)

      Delete
  9. You lost a 100 pounds darlin! That is huge!!!! Congratulations, and in cooler weather our muscles retain water...but you go with your first weight b/c it can fluctuate ridiculously througout the day. I don't even weigh myself anymore b/c it drove me mental!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh, I appreciate your feedback. I've decided to claim it and work hard this week to see another drop. The goal now is to get far enough past the 100 pound mark that daily fluctuations won't push me back under that again.

      Delete
  10. I second the comment above about changing the batteries on the scale. I found that I was getting some fluctuations a few months back, that fixed themselves as soon as I changed the battery.

    You go with that 100lb weight-loss! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did replace them and it hasn't happened since. :)

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!