Monday, July 14, 2014

Down 97 pounds and counting

As you may know, I've been very frustrated by an apparent lack of progress on the scale of late. It hasn't been completely stagnant - just painfully, horribly slow! I did see a loss this week, weighing in at 86.2 kg (190.04 lb), which is down 1.2 kg (2.65 lb) from last week. That brings my total loss to 44.1 kg (97.22 lb) so I am slowly inching towards the 100 pound milestone.  Not in a straight line, mind you - in fact I didn't even let myself get excited by the 86.2 kilo weigh-in because I ended June at 86.6 and then went back up in the start of July. I figured today the scale would taunt me again and I'd see 87 or 88 again. That's been the pattern lately, the scale givith and the scale taketh away.  But thankfully this morning I'm still at 86.2 kg.  Given I'm at that stage in my cycle where I usually start gaining water weight, it's anyone's guess what the week will bring.  But at this moment I am down 97.22 pounds and I'll take it!

Success isn't a straight line, I know that. Those solid drops week after week for 10 months straight were really nice, and brought me quickly to a 95 pound loss. In June I got over 96 pounds and now mid-way through July I'm at 97.22 pounds gone. Slow as a tortoise BUT ... moving downward overall, despite the fluctuations.  THAT is what I choose to focus on, THAT is what will keep me going. I will not throw in the towel, despite my frustration. I've said this before but it's true - every other weight loss attempt I have given up when I hit a plateau. It's SO frustrating to do everything right and see no progress week after week after week.  According to Dr Poon there are no plateaus on this plan, yet most people on the support groups have had them. So now it's my turn, and it's not even a plateau really, it's constant fluctuations.  This will NOT be the reason I throw in the towel this time.  I WILL reach my goal this time, of that I'm sure.  Because the real challenge will be staying there and maintaining once I get there. If I let things like plateaus, fluctuations and frustration get to me now, how will I ever maintain once I actually reach my goal?  This is practice, that's what it is. This is a lesson to prepare me for what's to come.  So bring it on, I'm a good student. :)

I'm still doing Turbo Jam twice a week and taking two big walks on the weekends. It was really cold and windy this weekend but I got out there anyway and got the walk in.  I've even added a couple of intermittent fasting days during the week just because I'm rarely hungry in the morning.  l only eat two meals a day on weekends anyway, but last week I did that twice during the week as well.  I don't see the point in eating if I'm not hungry, and I've read a lot about intermittent fasting lately, and I think it's a good idea.  When did this three-meals-a-day tradition start anyway?  It doesn't seem natural to be in a constantly 'fed' state, and occasional 'fasting' states are natural for most beings on the planet.  In any case, if I were truly hungry I'd eat something, but I rarely am so I'm going to listen to my body and let it tell me what it needs.

That's all for now, hope you're all having a great week! :)

14 comments:

  1. A 44kg loss to date is amazing! You've been doin so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your loss this week! You are still moving in the right direction and doing well. I understand your frustration, but you're doing the right things. Almost 100 lbs, is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... it will feel so good to say 100. Hope that day isn't far off.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your successes!
    I beg of you to keep a positive attitude and to not give up! It will be worth the time and effort to push through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn ... I promise I will. I am very determined this time that I will succeed ... both at getting it off and keeping it off.

      Delete
  4. Keep going. Cheering you on. The plateau will be your friend while in weight maintenance. Here's to blasting through this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHOO HOOOO!!!! You are strong and on the right path. I am glad that you are aware of past problems and are working on overcoming them. As we all know History repeats itself until we can break the cycle. Your doing a might fine job of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, I found when I got too frustrated with the scale ('s lack of movement down) it meant I was focusing on arbitrary numbers, instead of trusting the process. It's understandable, we all want as low a number as possible. But we have to remind ourselves that our health is the goal, not an arbitrary number or weight loss number. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right Gwen. I have focused on the number a lot and it's hard not to. But even if I never lose another ounce I am way healthier than I was this time last year.

      Delete
  7. Health and fitness is important and yes weight loss is good too. You've done so well and continue to do so.

    Patience and Positivity

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is not one of my strong points lol. But positivity I have gotten much better at. :)

      Delete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!