Sunday, May 18, 2014

Onederland, frustration, triumph, getting noticed, and running ... what's next?

This week I've felt both frustrated and triumphant. Frustrated that the gain from last week held steady ALL week long, not budging at all (whereas I usually start seeing a drop by Thursday) and yet triumphant that I ran for 25 minutes straight ... three times! Seriously, Go Me! Each time it was hard, but I made it. Each time I loudly cheered "you rock!" when I finished. That's really important, because as someone who's not always had the best 'self-talk' I've made a decided effort to change that and be more kind to myself - encouraging, even. More about running in a minute, but let's get my disappointing stats out of the way first thing.

Today I weighed in at 90.7kg (199.96 lb) so I'm back in Onederland but just barely! That's a loss of just 200g from last week, which is just .44 pounds. A loss is a loss ... yada yada yada. I know. I know all that but I feel like I've been stagnant for too long. It's feeling like a plateau which worries me because typically in past weight loss attempts if I'm lucky enough to make it below 200 pounds, that's when I tend to plateau and then start going back up. Hubby reminded me this time is different. The changes I've made in diet and exercise are part of my lifestyle now, and there's no turning back. So the only option is to keep doing what I'm doing, and he's right. But you can understand why I'd worry, I mean look at these stats:

  • 19 April - 92.9 kg (204.81 lb) - down 37.4 kg (82.45 lb)
  • 18 May  - 90.7 kg (199.96 lb) - down 39.6 kg (87.30 lb)

That just doesn't feel like much progress in a month's time, especially when I've been having a pretty high rate of loss from week to week prior to that.  I'm grateful that I've lost as much as I have, I'm not being a spoiled whiney brat, really I'm not. But I've promised to share the good and the bad of losing this weight and this is reality. Sometimes you slow down, sometimes you plateau. It sucks, but you just gotta keep on keeping on, right? So enough dwelling on that, I'm reverting back to Phase 1 completely in the coming week. On the menu this week are:


Last Night I Got Noticed!

Ok so hubby had a party with a few of his mates over last night that I haven't seen in awhile. Two commented to me (privately aside) that I'd lost weight ... like a lot. And I said yes, about 40 kilos! It did feel good cuz as much as the girls at work have noticed guys rarely do (or maybe they do but they've learned not to comment on a woman's weight). One of them had also lost a little weight himself and he mentioned he'd been eating healthier and had started running, so of course I said me too. He's running like 8k so definitely in better shape than me, but he was very impressed with my times and said that 25 minutes is like 4k so that's really good.

Of course now I dread having to attempt 28 minutes tomorrow but at every point in this training when I've had to increase the run time it's felt impossible, yet I've done it. I'm nearly at the end of this training program. So 28 minutes three times this week ... then there's one one day left on the app. A full 30 minutes which it claims is 5k and I just do that whenever I like.  I suppose whether or not it's really 5k depends on how fast one runs, and I'm definitely not fast.  Sports Tracker tells me I'm coming close to 5k right now, but that's including my warm up and cool down, each five minutes walking.

So where do I go from here? My goal in this effort has been to (1) conquer my fears and (2) to just make it through this program. I can't believe I'm nearly there. So then what? I can't say I love running. I actually kind of hate it while I'm doing it - but when I finish I feel amazing that I actually did it! So I guess I just see how it goes. Seems a shame to have built up my endurance to actually run 30 minutes and then stop and lose it all. Maybe I have to actually run regularly before I will know whether it's something I love or not. And if not ... what next? My home workouts don't require the same level of intensity. Maybe I mix it up. Run some, and add other forms of exercise as well. Who knows yet. It doesn't help that it's getting colder and darker earlier every night.

Anyway, that's where I am at the end of this week -- hoping for a better week ahead and really hoping to stay in Onederland from here on.


10 comments:

  1. Yes.. Go you!! Don't stress about the weight, you know it will continue to come off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do know that ... there's no other option! :)

      Delete
  2. For very few people is weight loss ever a straight line down! As long as your overall trend is down, you are rocking it!! I think a 5 lb loss in a month is great progress (especially when a typical adult puts on a couple lbs every year!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and it only feels like a stall. I had to look back and see I have had a loss over the last month, just less than I'd hoped.

      Delete
  3. I have no idea what blogs you might read, but I want to recommend one in case you haven't seen it. You can find it here: http://www.keepingthepoundsoff.com/2014/05/plateaus-turn-negative-into-positive.html. This post particularly should be helpful to you. I can't stop thinking about her line about maintenance being a never ending plateau. It's true. Even after maintaining my weight loss for eleven years, it still takes work. Yes, it is truly worth it.

    You are doing great. Keep up the good work. Oh yes, if you don't develop a love of running, walking is still one of the best exercises we can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't seen that blog but I loved that post and have subscribed. :)

      Delete
  4. Keep going, Keep positive

    You are making it, and should be proud.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on getting to Onederland again! I keep daily statistics on my weight, and something that made me feel better was noticing that my average weekly/monthly weight was going down. Even if I occasionally popped above weight X, I spent more days below that weight, until eventually I just stayed below that weight completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And I forgot to mention I have gotten smaller even if not losing weight. I got into a pair of black jean shorts this weekend that did not fit two weeks ago! :)

      Delete