Saturday, May 31, 2014

Nice drop this week, down 93 pounds in 9.5 months

Yeah, after anticipating a smaller loss this week I was pleasantly surprised to see 88.1 kg (194.23 lb) this morning, which is a drop of 1.4 kg (3.09 lb) from last week! Wow. I can't believe it really. That brings my total loss to 42.2 kg (93.04 lb) in just under 9.5 months.

I do have occasional weeks with small losses or even (rarely) small gains, but to still see nice drops like that this far into my weight loss is amazing to me.  I love that it's coming off fast, but that's another reason I wanted to start running ... I am very hopeful it will help with those last remnants of flab at the end so I don't have "loose skin" issues. I know most who lose lots of weight do, but I've read several articles lately such as "The Myth of Loose Skin" that argue what most people call loose skin is really stubborn subcutaneous fat deposits.

Skin itself is very thin, so if we have just loose skin it should be very thin like the skin on your eyelid or the back of your hand. If it's thicker than that, there is still fat left. They say if you get your body fat percentage low enough (15-17% for women), the skin will tighten up. But at 50 years old I fear I would look too old and gaunt at that low a body fat percentage. Having said that, I've seen the scars from surgical skin removal and that scares me too. So my plan is to keep running, add Callanetics starting this coming week, and maybe when I get a bit further along add weight-lifting if I need to. I hope that will improve any skin issues enough that I don't have to worry. We'll see.

I hurt my back!


Yeah, running twice a week and adding Callanetics twice a week was the plan ... we'll see how I go because I have pulled something in my lower back on the left side. I stopped at a shop Friday after work to buy another pair of slacks and two new tops all size 16. I had leaned against the dressing room wall and reached down to pull my pant leg off and felt a sudden pain on the lower left side of my back at hip level. I hadn't strained or made any weird movements so I don't know how or why it happened but I barely was able to get dressed again and get myself home. It still hurts today, though I did go for a walk. It hurts least when I'm standing up straight or laying comfortably. But at any stage of bending over or trying to lift anything it reminds me instantly that I better not. So I hope it passes soon so I can workout next week. I may go and get some Voltarin for inflammation and see if that helps ... or some of that stinky Deep Heat rub for sore muscles. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. wow, hope the pain ends SOON. Congrats on a fabu week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen. I ended up taking paracetamol and just relaxing today ... it's a bit better but still giving me grief.

      Delete
  2. Great loss again Anna - well done.

    Sorry to hear about your back, do wish you a speedy recovery ...take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!