Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Down 3 lbs overnight! And chicken tenders with an Italian flare

First let me say wow! I have dropped 1.4 kg (3.09 lb) overnight! I don't know if this is my reward for the extra workouts last week but whatever the reason, I was pleasantly surprised! That puts me at 108.5 kg (239.2 lb so I'm out of the 240s)! Woo hoo! It also means my total loss is now 21.8 kg (48 lb) so I am THAT close to 50 pounds gone that I can taste it!  Tonight I've done a Walk Away the Pounds 3 mile workout as I want to keep the workout habit going this week.  :)

I'll share the recipe we made Sunday night below as it was really nice. Since I'm 1/3 of the way to goal I've been adding small amounts of some foods allowed on Phase 2 of Dr Poon's diet ... this week that means tomatoes, as in this recipe, and a bit of carrot standing in for beans in my Chunky Chilli planned for Thursday.

This chicken dinner was really nice ... I just served mine with a side salad, whereas hubby had his over pasta. It makes it much easier for me that he can eat the same meals with the addition of some bread or pasta. While I'm coming to believe grains are evil, he's not there yet so this works for us.  You can click the title to watch the video, or just follow the recipe below.

Herb Chicken Skillet with Spinach and Tomatoes

Prep Time: 5 minutes    Cook Time:  25 minutes    Serves 4-6

Note: if you're following the Dr Poon diet, choose low-salt or no salt added tomatoes, and use half-salt or 50% reduced sodium salt, or omit that entirely. Note tomatoes are allowed in Phase 2 of the diet.  Also, while I didn't say so in the video, you'll probably want to remove the white tendon from your chicken tenders before cooking.

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 pounds (750g) chicken tenders
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (400g) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon Basil
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package (6 ounces / 170g) baby spinach leaves

DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 10 minutes or until browned. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened.

Stir in tomatoes, water and seasonings. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 3 minutes or until heated through.

Stir in spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach begins to wilt.
Serve as is for a low-carb meal, or over pasta or couscous for those not following Dr Poon's diet.

5 comments:

  1. Well done on the weight loss and thanks for the video! I'll be making that - I'm always after something to do with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent job, Anna! You are totally IN THE ZONE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You my dear are doing SUCH A GREAT JOB!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on your weight loss. Grains are not evil, but they might not be the right choice for you. And when overly refined, they are not a good choice for anybody. But it doesn't hurt to recall that grains are the reason that human civilization as we know it exists, so there must be some virtue to them. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe, if the grains available today even remotely resembled the ones earlier humans ate. They've been modified too much with no regard to how they affect our health. I suggest reading Grain Brain and Wheat Belly, among others. But I know how easy I lose weight without them and how much better I feel, so it's definitely the right choice for me.

    ReplyDelete