Sunday, December 15, 2013

50 Pounds Gone after 17 weeks!

OMG ... I really thought I'd have to wait 'til next week for this announcement, I mean ... I needed to lose over 3.26 pounds to get there this week ... and I did!

So the official stats are 107.5 kg (237.0 lb) this morning. That's a loss of 1.6 kg (3.53 lb) since last week, of which 1 kg (2.2 lb) was FAT.  It's a total loss of 22.8 kg (50.27 lb) in just 17 weeks! I may be in Australia now, but I'm a small town Wisconsin gal who still thinks in pounds, so this 50 pounds means a lot to me. I am over 1/3 of the way to my goal and for the first time ever I have no doubt I will get there. Maybe within a year, maybe not, but I will get there!

Yesterday hubby really wanted to go out to lunch. Since I'd managed to do that on our holiday in Melbourne without any adverse effects, I figured I'd be ok, but being the day before my official weigh-in for the week I was a bit worried. I asked him to pick a place where I could get grilled steak or chicken and veggies, and he chose this award winning restaurant up in the mountain we'd never been to before. It was a short drive and a lovely location, but being 'award winning' meant expensive, and while they had plenty of meats that would suit they all came with thick cut chips or creamy potato sides rather than veggies or salad. You had to order at the counter so I ordered him the chicken schnitzel and asked if I could have the filet mignon but swap out the potatoes for steamed vegetables as I was on a low carb diet. They said they don't have any vegetables so they can't swap, but I could just not eat them or leave them off. It would still have been a $30 lunch and I could only eat the meat? She said, "maybe the porterhouse ... oh wait, that comes with potatoes too."

Then she said, "Oh, there's a vegetarian dish here that might work!" I looked at it and said it had rice in it. She said, "but it's brown rice!" I said "I think you'll find there are carbs in brown rice, too. What about this deconstructed Caesar salad, can I assume the dressing is on the side since it's deconstructed?" She said no, it's already mixed in. At this point I was that frustrated I didn't even care anymore, I mean how hard would it be to make me a salad and leave off the damned dressing? But instead I just said to order his meal and I'd have nothing, thanks.

When I got back to the table hubby was upset because he felt I should have just said we'd go somewhere else, but he was starving, we were already here, and he'd never eaten here before, so I wanted him to try it. Besides, we'd have to try to think of another suitable place, and I had leftovers at home I could eat ... with weigh-in coming the next morning, I really preferred that. Turns out it was probably a good choice for me, and he really enjoyed his lunch so it worked out great. But I was amazed at finding a restaurant that was unwilling to even TRY to work with me! I mean you have salad vegetables, but you wouldn't even swap potatoes for a plain salad? Unbelievable.

Well I'm off to grocery shop for the week ... not much else to do on this rainy day. Hope you're all enjoying your weekend.

10 comments:

Primal Gwen said...

I DEFINITELY would've walked out on them. Sorry, but you made the right choice not to knuckle under and eat their crap. Congrats on 50 lbs. lost so quickly! That's fantastic!!!

Eowyn said...

How great can this place be if they don't even have vegetables. This is why I don't eat out. It's virtually impossible to get a balanced meal out. Makes me really angry. Does no one seem to know that a balanced plate is HALF vegetables, 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbohydrate? They may know but they don't seem to care. Maybe next time, phone the restaurant first. And leave them a bad review on Trip Advisor! :)

Eowyn said...

Oh sorry, I got so POed I forgot to say, congratulations on your weight loss. I am jealous! :)

Anna Down Under said...

Thanks Gwen and Eowyn. Those were my thoughts too, how does any restaurant, much less an award winning one, NOT have any vegetables?

Leigh Costa said...

You are a strong woman Anna! Congrats on your awesome loss and not buckling under pressure!!!!!

Katrin said...

Congrats on your fantastic weight loss!

Anonymous said...

It's an "award-winning, upscale, $$$" restaurant where you stand at a counter to order? To order a porterhouse? And it has no vegetables on the menu?

Lowcarb team member said...

I can remember years ago before LCHF was even in our minds - a restaurant just wouldn't budge about what they thought was correct. The old saying 'the customer knows best' didn't come into their thought process. We couldn't get what we wanted served together on one plate, as chef decided it wouldn't go! We just asked him to serve it on two plates, which of course messed up his way of presenting it. It took some time for us to persuade him to do this but he did in the end - rather spoilt the occasion though - perhaps we should have got up and walked.

I am so pleased that nowadays the restaurants we go to are brilliant and serve great food how we like to eat it. Great progress, great service - can't ask for more.

Congrats on your weight loss.

All the best Jan

Anna Down Under said...

Thanks everyone! Anonymous, I found the counter thing odd, too, but it was not "upscale" in the sense you are thinking. Just a very nice pub/hotel in the mountains. I'm in Australia and pubs or hotels here generally mean a bar with rooms above for patrons to spend the night ... this one just happened to be nicer than most and had a restaurant attached. Hubby said they have won awards and his meal was very good, he thoroughly enjoyed it. I just thought their unwillingness to budge at all and lack of veggies was odd in this day and age.

Lynda said...

Great loss but I would so have walked out!!! These places need to get real these days and realise that they need to offer choices. I'm so glad you didn't order anything - certainly made a point there anyway.