Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wednesday check-in

I thought I would just check in and let you all know I'm going great. Buying that carton of egg whites has turned out to be a great idea. Monday I had my protein shake for breakfast as usual, but being back to work meant I couldn't just grab a snack if I got hungry. I only brought my lunch meal, nothing to snack on, and since I was getting up earlier and having breakfast earlier too, I started feeling a bit peckish around 11:30. Not a lot, and it soon passed, but on Tuesday I thought I would have a bit more for breakfast. So along with my shake, I whisked together one whole egg with a half cup of the egg whites and scrambled that with a little low-sodium ham and Kraft LiveFree cheese. It was delicious, and I found it tided me over much longer. Didn't get hungry at all before lunch. But it was a bit time consuming and dirtied a frying pan, so this morning I tried a different approach. I whisked the egg in a bowl then put it in the microwave for one minute. Then I stirred it up and cooked another 30 seconds. Perfect! Scrambled eggs in no time, and much less cleanup! I just heated some low-sodium ham and very low-fat cheese on the side, cut it in bites and stirred it through the egg. Delicious!

Last night's dinner was from the New Dieters Cookbook, Chicken Marsala ... only without the Marsala. I substituted no-salt chicken broth with a splash of white wine vinegar instead. Chicken breasts are pounded to 1/4 inch, then pan-fried. Then while the chicken is kept warm you sautée some mushrooms, green onions and a bit of garlic, then add the 1/4 cup Marsala substitute. Add the chicken back in and heat through. On the side I had sliced a couple of yellow button squash and some green bell pepper and popped them in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Really tasty and the chicken was so moist! Had leftovers for lunch today.

Then tonight I made another of Leigh's recipes ... Shepherd's Pie. It was good, but I preferred her Lazy Cabbage Casserole. I did double the cauliflower and I'm glad I did as it wouldn't have been enough otherwise. I have leftovers for the next few days and may try adding some of the no-added-sugar ketchup or BBQ sauce I bought, just to give it a touch more flavour.

Overall I'm enjoying my meals very much. I have not had a single craving for anything I've eliminated, and this is getting easier each day. Oh, and while I said I wouldn't weigh until the weekend, I couldn't resist checking this morning and have lost a total of 4.1 kg (9.04 lb) so far ... in a week and a half. I'm so happy! 

Today a coworker and I were discussing our respective weight loss efforts. She said needs to allow herself the occasional off-plan treat, but I said I can't even think about it. For two reasons, really. Now that sugar, carbs and processed foods are out of my system, other Pooners have advised that even one indulgence could take three days to recover from and trigger cravings as well. And secondly, I know me. I can't have just a bit of a trigger food. I'll want more. Past experience has shown me that when I am doing well on a plan, going off even briefly can make it harder for me to get back on again. Even if I'd been on longer than 10 days, it's just not worth risking it. I have a tendency to quit when the going gets tough (e.g. plateau) so I'm very determined that this time will be different. I am not quitting this time ... not even for "just a little" of an off-plan item. This plan works if you stick to it, and I'm enjoying it, so I am sticking with it! :)

2 comments:

  1. Good on you and your success with the Poon diet! I've always found that a protein rich breakfast keeps me satisfied through the morning and no temptation to eat before lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan to me! Avoid the triggers as they are likely to cause a downfall. For me as well! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Sorry anonymous commenters, but you'll have to prove you're not a robot because the spammers were driving me crazy! They never get through yet they were persistent!