Sunday, August 18, 2013

Back home and ready to start Dr Poon's Metabolic Diet

Tomorrow is D-Day, or maybe P-Day since I planned to start Dr Poon's Metabolic Diet. We returned from vacation yesterday, and it was a very long day indeed. Checked out of the hotel at 10 AM, flight was about 12:50 and were back in Sydney about 2:15. After collecting our baggage we hopped the train to Central about 3pm where we caught our train for the long ride home ... about 2 hours followed by a 20 minute walk home from the train station, so a long, tiring day.

I got my husband's cold last Sunday, which turned into a full-blown sinus infection for me ... so I spent my holiday sick! It eased up a bit by Thursday, but since then I've had a headache and an acidic stomach. Not nausea or heartburn, just felt like a bit of acid was sitting in the bottom of my stomach. Normally a couple of aspirin do away with my headaches in a short while, but it hasn't helped this time so I tried paracetamol last night. Both symptoms are a bit better today but not fully gone. It's got me worried only because people commonly report headaches in the first 2-3 weeks on Dr Poon's plan as you adjust to burning fat rather than glucose. I wonder if I should wait, but it seems odd to wait for my headache to go away so I can get it back again anyway.  Plus I want to start ... I've been looking forward to starting actually, and I may even have my husband joining me. He said he felt a bit doughy after our holiday and his jeans felt tight, so he asked me about the foods I'd be eating and said he'd have them, too. He's even scouring gumtree for a treadmill!

We have family coming over tonight for a pizza party in honour of my husband's birthday, and a few non-Poon items left to use up, so instead of shopping for the week today as we normally would, we'll do it tomorrow. I'll just grab some almond milk today as I do have some Atkins protein shake mix in the cupboard I could have for breakfast so I can still start tomorrow. I could even have it with water I suppose, but it won't taste as good. I just wish this headache would go away completely.

So that's where I'm at ... gearing up for a Monday start. I'll check in tomorrow morning with a starting weight and measurements.

3 comments:

  1. As I am LCing I can tell you that I have found that coconut milk is lower carbs than almond milk. Hope that helps you possibly as a new idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but I checked a few brands ... you may have different options where you live, but in general a 250 ml serve of the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze almond milk I bought has less fat, saturated fat, and carbs than any of the coconut milks I checked. Blue Diamond has just 40 calories, 3 grams total fat, 0.2 grams saturated fat and 1.8 carbs. The lowest coconut milk I see here has 77 calories, 4.8 grams fat, 1.1 gram saturated fat, and 6.8 carbs. It's going to be harder following Dr Poon's plan in Australia as we just don't have the same products available. As well as low carb, they also have to be low in both fat and sodium. Low sodium is proving the harder challenge for me, we can't even find low-sodium soy sauce in the store anymore (they used to carry it, but I'm guessing it didn't sell so they pulled it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwwiieee Yeah big difference there between the two. The brand I was referring to is SODelicious but yeah you are right on not having the same things since I am in Florida.

    ReplyDelete