Sunday, February 10, 2013

Not gonna worry about it.

My friend Carla commented I should consider taking a break from dieting ... at least the part that involves worrying about what to eat, counting it, logging it, measuring it, etc. maybe she's on to something. Now it's not an excuse to eat whatever I want, binge, etc., but after all these years of dieting I should be able to make healthy choices instinctively most of the time. I know what to eat, I shouldn't need to plan, log and count every morsel. I think I might give it a go this week. I've had so much to worry about between family issues and work stress that dieting is one more stress I don't need to worry about.

Then I worry I'll feel guilty that I'm not 'doing something' about my weight, because Lord knows I can't be this weight and not DO something about it. Cuz I'm up a little from last week. I was 118.3 kg last week and 118.7 this week. That's 400 grams. I'd convert that to pounds for you, but just this moment I'm not going to worry about it. :)

I also know I need to be more active. I saw a woman at the mall yesterday, 20 years older than me I'd say, and she was very heavy and used a push walker that she could stop and sit on from time to time while her husband went into the shops. Nearby I noticed a trim woman about the same age that seemed fit and healthy, and needed no assistance. I thought to myself, which one do I want to be in 20 years if I'm still around? Fitness is important. I don't want to be just choosing a different thing to worry about, but I would like to go for a walk or do a video workout a few days a week. I'll check in through the week and let you all know how I'm going.

13 comments:

  1. Just saying hello. If your going to take a break make sure that you make the best choices you can. Good LUck! (yes I know you know that LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an observation but here is a metaphor for you. If you had cancer, they started the surgery to remove the tumor(s) and stopped halfway through and closed you up, saying they would remove the rest later, would you be satisfied with that?

    This weight loss journey is kind of like that. Our fat is our cancer. We can choose to live with it and that is anyone's right to choose. But you seem to know that YOU CAN'T (or at least you know you don't want to) So, stopping the counting, stopping the consciously knowing exactly how much and what you are eating is like removing the surgical scalpel before all the tumors are removed. There is no sense in it if you want to be 'cancer free' or 'lose weight'. Even cancer patients who have their surgeries have to endure chemo and radiation afterward and this is metaphorical to maintenance and still having to watch and make sure you are keeping an eye on your weight.

    Fat is a cancer and it can kill you like cancer so it isn't far fetched to compare it to cancer.

    Would you stop the surgeon halfway through?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Mom, I wouldn't. But suppose they removed some of it, then put it all back plus some extra, then took another large chunk out only to put over half back in, then they didn't take any for a long time ... See I totally get what you're saying but I've spent most of my life dieting. There has to come a point where you say enough! Because yo-yo dieting actually makes the fat tumour much bigger. I'm not going to be bingeing or even likely going over my calorie goals, I'm just going to try doing it more intuitively and giving myself a break from the part of it that I currently feel is driving me over the brink. Counting, logging, and worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck and God bless then. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if you were in the middle of a surgery to remove a cancer and the surgeon realized that he was going about it in an ineffective way, so stops, reassesses, and proceeds in a better way? Would you say to him, NO you started the operation and you should keep going like that even though it won't help in the long run?

    Anna, I know you and I know you will not eat poorly even if you are not tracking every single micronutrient that you take in. Try eating an apple with joy, rather than trying to figure out how many grams it weighs and how many carbs it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep up the good work! I totally know what you're feeling. I think the trick is not to not track but to not feel like every bite you put in your mouth is a statement of your self worth. Not that I've managed to get there myself, but when I've stopped counting and tracking, I end up back peddling. It's not all or nothing; maybe track every other day? Hang in there.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Christine - thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I love your blog, I really do! I think it's inspirational and has given me so many ideas on healthier food and what not.

    And so what if you go off your diet for a week? Don't let dieting take control of your life and your daily activities. That's what I did and became terribly anorexic and it was just horrible!

    So I say have a break have a kit-kat hehe. An get back on dieting when you have less stress to deal with. All the best - Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Anna, I have made a start trying this interesting 5:2 thing that is big news over here. Check out my private blog for more. :) It would be great to have your input.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't, I sent you an email that I can't find the blog anymore, the original link you sent only allowed me to accept your invitation. If I click it now it just says I already accepted, it won't take me there again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh pooey. Well, I don't know what to do. I can try to invite you again? I think you have to have a Google ID to get in. It's all silly, but I just like having a private blog where I can post freely. At first I was the only one allowed in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Or just send me a direct link via email, since I accepted the invitation already it should let me in.

    ReplyDelete